I am NOT a summer person. Yet I’m from Cyprus.
Currently, I’m sitting in my AC (do I do anything different these days?) editing and writing this special blog post that was due to come to you a long time ago and I’m dreaming of winter. I’m one of those people -yes! No shame about it. As much as I like the whole CreatingMemoriesWithFriendsAndDrinksInSummer mood I would give everything to be underneath a blanket, candles lit and watching a cosy movie. BUT! Climate changes are real and every summer from now on will be hotter and I don’t really know how we will survive.
If something I was personally taught to appreciate the last two years, is my country. Because of the pandemic and the limits that still exist when it comes to travelling, I was thinking how lucky we are to live in a country with good weather and easy access to the beach and the mountains. Personally, I love both but just a bit more, the mountains. The fresh and chilly air from the trees is what I love the most – not to mention the fresh clean water that you can get anywhere there’s access to it. My best childhood memories are spent in the mountains, either staying at a hotel every year with my parents and sister or going on a road trip with my grandparents. We still try to do those.
Without further ado, I welcome you to #MariasInspoSundays – The Blog Edition. Firstly, thank you for your wonderful and kind messages when I took a step back from Instagram every Sunday. I honestly didn’t realise how much you liked my edit! You inspire me to do and try for more. So, from now on, #MariasInspoSundays will be available as a blog post with all the info linked and of course on my Instagram so you can access anything anytime.
For the first SundayEdit (and voted by you), I bring you a few of our beautiful places to visit in Cyprus, near the sea or the mountains.
I have a special love for Paphos. Most of the road trips and staycations we did with le fiancé were in Paphos. Great beaches to visit, restaurants and cafes to watch beautiful sunsets and eat great cupcakes and other sweet treats from my friend’s bakery (much love to you Kate, we miss you).
Here are my top places to visit while in Paphos:
- Baths of Aphrodite : if you have never been it’s worth it to do so especially if you have family. The story of Aphrodite the Goddess of love being born in our island has always made me curious and excited to hear.
- Avakas Gorge : I still haven’t been here but seeing other people’s photographs makes me want to go ASAP! You will need a lot of energy and strong legs to walk for almost 2 hours.
- Coral Bay: one of my favourite beached in Paphos. There are sun-beds to pay for, so no need in carrying yours. There’s also a bar where you can get whatever drink you wish for and waterspouts bay for those who love them! If these don’t check your beach day wish list I don’t know what will.
- Feeling hungry after the beach? Visit Yialos Tavern by the sea. It’s okay to thank me later.
- Bake a wish Creations : baked with love, my friend Kate makes the best cakes and sweet treats. Phone her to make sure the bakery’s open and to place your order shall you need something special to try. She’ll be more than happy to help you out.
- Oneiro by the Sea : best place to go and watch the sunset as well as have your dinner while doing that. If you not fancy being around so many people, pop across the area to enjoy the sunset from the sea caves.
DAMS TO VISIT
There’s a calmness to watch Dams – for me at least. I love a chill road trip to the dams throughout Cyprus and even though I haven’t visited every single one below, I tend to!
- Kouris Dam
- Kalopanayiotis Dam – here you can combine it by having lunch at this traditional restaurant.
- Xyliatos Damn
- Evretou Dam
You can always finish off your visit to one of the nearby village’s restaurants or go sightseeing and be curious about the places you haven’t been to before.
For all of you beach lovers it goes without saying (at least for me) that the best beaches to visit on a Sunday or stay over the weekend are nearby Ayia Napa and Protaras. The gold sand on your feet and the crystal clear waters are all the summer vibes one needs in Cyprus. We are so blessed to be living on this beautiful island. Below are some of the best spots to watch sunsets and beaches (most of them with bars provided – I got you covered) to spend your weekends!
- Sea Caves
- Bridge of Love
- Cactus Park Ayia Napa
- Marcellos’ Beach Bar
- Vrissiana Beach Front
- Landa Beach
- Cape Greco
Last but not least, here is few of my favourite playlists to sing along while on the road! Click below:
I hope that you liked today’s edit – I can’t wait to bring more stuff to you. Sundays are for re-charging, reflecting on the week that passed and looking forward to the brand new to come. While visiting any place around, please don’t be an asshole and pick up your garbage (shall you have any) before you leave. Hands up to this guys that are cleaning after assholes whenever they might got. Let’s give them a follow and help out —> trashfreetrailscyprus
Until the next edit!
Follow me for more on Insta!